Looking for a way to use up some of your summer produce? How can you go wrong with all of these yummy and healthy ingredients? Black beans make a great protein base, which is important, since the salad is vegetarian. Bell peppers are the perfect source for carotenoids, vitamins C, B6 and E, as well as health-supportive sulfur and antioxidants. Tomatoes are rich in nutrients, too; they have an outstanding antioxidant, vitamin and mineral content, improving digestion, eye sight, preventing skin, hair and bone problems (thanks to biotin) and high blood pressure. Corn is a good source of fiber, antioxidants and carotenoids, supporting digestion and regulating blood sugar levels. Finally, avocados are known as a superfood, being loaded with fiber, antioxidants and they are incredibly rich in nutrients like pantothenic acid, copper, folate, potassium, vitamins B6, C, E, and K. Most importantly avacados are a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega fats are crucial to your body's health and can only be obtained through your diet! In other words, if you're not consuming healthy Omega-3 and Omega-6 in your diet you are going to be deficient in healthy fats. Omega fats are used to protect your cells and nervous system along with helping regulate blood pressure and inflammation. As you can see, this salad is really good for you!
You won't even miss meat here because the taste is very well-balanced and rich. Just imagine, tangy bell peppers, sweet grilled corn, fresh succulent tomatoes, rich earthy black beans, zesty red onions and scallions meet creamy avocado dressing spiced with cumin and acidified by freshly squeezed tangy lime juice.
MEXICAN CHOPPED SALAD WITH AVOCADO DRESSING
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 20 Minutes
For the Mexican chopped salad:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 ear of corn, husks and silk removed
- 2 bell peppers, red and green
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes, red and yellow
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 scallions
- 1 avocado
- 170 grams or 1 cup pre-boiled or canned black beans
For the avocado dressing:
- 1 avocado
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- GRILL YOUR CORN: Use a grill, broiler, or a griddle pan. Grill the whole corn cob for 15 minutes, turning every 5 minutes, until the cob has black burn marks here and there and the kernels are soft (you can check it be piercing the cob with a fork). Let it cool a bit and remove the kernels with a knife.
- CHOP THE VEGGIES: While your corn is grilling, chop the veggies. Dice red and green bell pepper, red and yellow tomatoes, red onion, scallions and avocado and arrange on two plates, creating sections (or in any other way you like). Add pre-boiled (or canned) black beans and corn kernels.
- MAKE THE DRESSING: Pit and peel avocado, add lime juice, olive oil, water, cumin, a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper and process with an immersion blender until smooth. Pour the dressing over the salad. Enjoy!
Refrigerate the avocado dressing in an air-tight container or jar for up to 3 days.