Today marks the start of school. Maybe your not-so-little one is giving you the morning time sass and you're already running late. Or maybe you're dreading going to work... or the weekend festivities didn't go quite to plan. There's a million things that can stress us out in any given day but that doesn't have to be the end of the story! We’ve all had those days when it seems like nothing in the world is going our way. Maybe you woke up on the wrong side of the bed, or you’re overworked and overwhelmed, or you are just in a slump and can’t seem to pull yourself out of it, there are things you can do to cheer yourself up and make you bad day better.
So your day is off to a bad start… now what?
- Try something new- When you’re not feeling your best, try a new activity! It doesn’t have to be crazy; something as simple as going to a new coffee shop by yourself can help you get out of your funk. Breaking out of your everyday routine will help you clear your mind and focus your attention elsewhere.
- Exercise- You’ve heard it before, but exercising releases “feel good” endorphins into your body and makes you feel happier (even if you don’t want to). If you've never had a constant exercise routine try starting with 5 minutes each day. The hardest part is starting! Don’t be intimidated; Exercising doesn’t need to mean hitting the gym and lifting weights. Find an activity you enjoy and make time for it in your routine. If it would help you, find a friend and have them join you! Any activity would do the trick; walk, run, yoga, biking, hiking, swimming… there are endless options.
- Talk it out- One of the worst things you can do is hold in your emotions and let them build and build. If you do that, it will only make things worse. Sometimes the only thing you need to do to pull yourself out of a bad mood is to vent it out with a friend. Having someone who is there to listen allows you to get it out of your system. A new perspective on your dilema may just be what you need!
- Do the things you love- Nothing will make you happier than doing the things that you love to do! When you have hobbies that you know will bring out your happiness, try to make it a priority to do these things everyday. So often, we feel that we are too busy and our passions get pushed aside, when in reality, those should be one of our main priorities!
- Take a deep breath- When you're day just isn't going as well as you expected, it is important to take a deep breath and realize that even your worst day only lasts for 24 hours! It may sound cheesy, but it's true. Get a good night’s sleep, and be determined to make tomorrow better.